I really want to start getting more creative when it comes to cooking and playing with flavours to create AMAZING meals that are healthy. This weekend I made Turkey Meatballs ontop of pasta. Now I know what your thinking… pasta, thats not good for you right? Wrong! For one, everything in moderation is totally fine. Two, it is just a starchy carbohydrate and when you are paying attention to your carbohydrate intake it won't affect you at all. What makes pasta unhealthy is when restaurants cover it in high calorie sauces or way too much cheese. I made sure to measure myself one serving of pasta. This was the first time I have had pasta in what feels like a life time, but it was delicious.
Below is my recipe and instructions on how I put together dinner.
Ingredients for Awesomeness:
- 1lb Ground Turkey
- Healthy dose of Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 cup Oats
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- Mix ground beef with all the ingredients up top.
- After thoroughly mixing the ingredients together, roll them into balls (any size that you want) and put them on a plate or cookie sheet.
- Get your pasta going! Boil some water in a larger pot on the stove. While that starts to boil, heat up some olive oil in a pan. I use extra virgin olive oil, but that really doesn’t matter. Use whatever you please.
- After the pan is warmed up, place the meatballs in the pan so they can start cookin’.
- Your pasta should be cooking in the pot at this point and you should be actively rolling the meatballs around in the pan. Once they are brown and almost cooked through, add your pasta sauce.
- I had homemade pasta sauce at home (which is why I decided to make this meal). Homemade pasta includes: tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper. If you don’t have/want to make pasta sauce then just use regular store bought stuff. No biggie.
- I covered the meatballs in the pasta sauce and turned the heat down a tad. Let this simmer and cook the meatballs as well as warm the sauce. I added a few chopped tomatoes as well just because I wanted to.
- Once everything is cooked fully, put it on a plate, pour yourself a glass on wine (because its the weekend) and enjoy with your friends, family or loved one.